Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Remembering to be blessed...

A little bit of back story - I'm currently living with some friends of mine (Brad and Pam) - They are married and have two boys that are 4 (Mikey) and 5 (Sean) - They have 2 extra bedrooms in their house that aren't in use so they offered to let me move in with them for the time being so that I could work at paying off some of my medical debt.

Now to go on with the rest of my post... I'm recovering from surgery on my wrist quite nicely. Trying to enjoy my last few days of leave and be as productive as I can while typing with one hand.

After having breakfast with Pam and the boys we were all headed downstairs - Pam and the boys to do some school work and me to my room so that I could get ready for the day and get some homework down.

As I was headed down the stairs I turned to pick up my slippers - Which I had thrown down the stairs earlier that morning. As I turned I heard a pop and felt this intense amount of pain coming from my right foot. I then lifted my foot because of the pain that I felt and proceeded to fall down the 1 remaining stair I had left to go down.

Some swelling some slight bruising and 2 pain pills later my Dad comes to pick me up and take me to Urgent Care because I know that something is not right because I'm in way too much pain and the drugs didn't even take the edge off.

Turns out I broke my 5th metatarsal bone and because of where the break is at I have to see and Orthopedic Foot Surgeon to decide if I need surgery or just a casting or exactly what I'm going to do. For now I'm in a walking boot to help keep the foot stabilized as I can still not bare weight and am cruising around in a wheelchair quite nicely.

Who knew that such a little break could cause so much pain...


After all is said and done I am feeling extremely blessed although I'm mentally exhausted from trying not lose myself in one big giant pity party. I'm fortunate to be living in a house that is completely handicap accessible with the most amazing friends to assist in helping me over the next few weeks or months that I may not be able to fully care for myself. It is most definitely a humbling experience to ask someone else to do your laundry, drive you to appointments (or class), or even just to get you a glass of water.

6 comments:

  1. TLB NOOOOOOoooooooo! As the expression goes, insult to injury! Oh gosh. You didn't need that at all. I am glad you have good people around you, hugs from your friends in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oww! Being hurt is no fun! I hope you feel better soon, and don't get banged up anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't imagine what you are going through. Fortunately, I haven't broken a bone in my body (KNOCK ON WOOD). I think it's great that you can maintain such a positive attitude about it all, you are very blessed to have such great friends and family to take care of you! How have you been feeling? When do you find out if you need surgery or not? I had no idea what a person's 5th metatarsal bone was until I read this post. I can imagine that it's painful, that picture is enough to show it! I hope everything works out and that you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonya, I just have to say you have got it rough. That sucks. Its nice to see that you are not letting it get you down, your an inspiration. Makes me appreciate the fact that I dont have that going on with me... I am having a pity party for myself tonight...

    All I can say is thanks, even though you probably were not looking to make anyone feel better about whats going on in their life right now... you did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just hang in there!! Sounds like you are in the perfect place with wonderful people that would do anything for you. I know it may not feel like it right now, but you are very lucky. If this would happen to me I would be fending for myself pretty much of the time. For now just rest, get better and enjoy your time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your attitude is inspiring! Thank you!

    Your posting your x-ray? Hilarious! (but OUCH!)

    ReplyDelete