Sunday, September 25, 2011

smattering

According to Google Dictionary Smattering is a noun meaning: A slight superficial knowledge of a language or subject or a small amount of something.

I'm hoping that this post becomes the small amount of something rather than some slight superficial knowledge of a language.

I am taking my Intro to Technical Communications class online, however the in-class section is recorded so I am able to hear Professor Livesey's lecture (which I think is beyond awesome.) Anyways, if I refer to him speaking during the course capture that is what I mean.

During the first course capture of the semester Dr. Livesey was going over the syllabus and one of our projects this semester is to create a blog and to post weekly through the semester. When talking about blogs he shared a fact that I didn't know but I completely get it an believe it. He was saying that 90% of blogs only have about 2 posts and then are not touched again after 30 days. I find that completely believable. After starting several different blogs and then abandoning them for one reason or another or just forgetting to post I see the level of commitment needed. Also, having followed many different blogs for several years and seeing the number of followers that they have the pressure that it can put on one to live up to others expectations.

According to our project guidelines, written by Dr. Livesey, some options for posts are:

• How has technology changed the career you want to have?
• What has Google—or Microsoft, or Apple— done in the last week that affects the way people communicate or relate to information?
• Where did the latest Internet meme come from, and what does it say about our culture?
• How has technology changed our political system?

And he advises, "If you are stuck for things to write about, do what writers do—find out what other people are writing about, and see if their thoughts inspire your own."

I think that the blogs that I have written in the past have failed because I lack a certain amount of inspiration or creativity. I'm a very structured organized person that isn't all that imaginative.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this particular blog evolves over the semester and how I change as a writer as this semester moves forward.

I will close this out with a reflection on a quote that I read some time ago on Quiet Life. I have posted about this before but it is something that sticks with me and I come back to often.

I am not afraid
I was born to do this
I wrote previously: "One of my greatest fears is that I won't do enough with my life. That I won't make an impact. That I won't be able to do better for the next generation. However I have to not be afraid. Whatever I do I am meant to do. I'm beginning to realize that I don't need to make an impact on a million lives to be successful. I just need to do my best in life and that whatever path I take is the one that I was meant to. It does not mean that I do not need to strive to do better or that I can go about life without a purpose - however - I do believe that it means that I don't need to have fear that I am inadequate. I must remember that I was born to do this - whatever it may be."

I am doing better with this. The fear is slightly less and the purpose while I'm still unsure of the specifics is a little greater. And this is a good thing. An inspiring thing.

4 comments:

  1. You mention in your post that you struggle with the blogging because you are a very structured person. I have a thought on this....

    I have started a list that is always clipped to my fridge. When something happens during the day that I think I can twist into a blog post, I add it to the list. Think of it as a writers block prevention list. Current bullet points on mine include the frustration of washing dishes with stuck on oatmeal, fuzzy caterpillars, and a trip to the apple orchard.

    The next time I'm sitting in front of my screen going, uhhhhhhhhhhh..... I have a list that can help get me moving forward.

    It gets easier. Pretty soon you'll be blogging a couple times a week without thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am an online student living in Appleton so I am no where near campus. I have taken online courses before but nothing like this, not all of my classes so this defiantly is a learning experience.

    Well, that post was very inspiring. I also have started a blog in the past and worked hard on it almost every day, then school started again and it was abandoned. Being a structured person too, blogs are hard for me because I feel like without a guideline I am not doing it right. I don't know how you could do it wrong though, giving that a blog is meant to give you a louder voice to reach out to more people.

    I think a reason why I have a hard time with blogging is because I don't know what other people will think about it IF they ever read it. As I get older I am starting to feel more and more comfortable in my own skin and that helps with my writing. A writer needs to feel a certain level of person confidence in themselves to be successful so until I reach that level, it will be an uphill battle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are kindred spirits!!!

    ReplyDelete